Something Fishy

Something Fishy
t Doesn't Get Much Better

Friday, October 4, 2013

Toasted maple nut goodies; a find at the Morton General Store


Remember maple nut goodies candy. The little maple coated nut goodies candy has been around as long as I can remember. 
Maple nut goodies usually are sold in bulk or sometimes in a bag where bulk candies are sold. (Fewer places theses days.) As I recall, Brach’s made the goodies. There probably were others.
During a recent auto drive, I stopped by the Morton (IN) General Store on U.S. Highway 36 east of Rockville. The od store has a great selections of fishing and hunting grear. It also has a wonderful selection of meat and fish as well as cheese. I usually stop when I am in the area. The cheddar bacon cheese is wonderful. It makes great grilled cheese sandwiches.
Anyway, on the way to the cash register, I noticed the bin of bulk candy. And there were maple nut goodies. I picked up a bag and headed to the cash register with my bologna, ham and cheese.
The lady at the cash register asked if I had even heated the maple nut goodies.
I told her, “no”. It had never crossed my mind.
“Put them on a plate and place them in the microwave for about 20 seconds. It softens them and they are wonderful,” she explained.
That evening at home, I decided to put a few in the microwave. Wow, she was really right. Delicious. And, into the microwave went more.
Now, I need to buy some more maple nut goodies.
I learn something new every day. Imagine a store with great outdoor gear and maple nut goodies. And, yes, there are chocolate covered peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment