Something Fishy

Something Fishy
t Doesn't Get Much Better

Monday, August 15, 2011

It's not my birthday, it's opening day



For many years, Aug. 15 has been a special day. Yes, it’s my birthday, but that’s not what makes it special. It is the opening day of squirrel season in Indiana.
Most of the time it is a really hot day. It’s not the kind of day one normally thinks about hunting, but it is the opening day of the first of our hunting seasons. Even if just for a few minutes, I feel compelled to make it into the woods.
And, while I don’t expect to shoot a squirrel, heading to the woods is my symbolic gesture for starting a new hunting season.
Unfortunately, my right leg is gimpy. I really can’t walk the way I’ve always loved to do. I doubt I do much hunting today, but I may sit under a hickory tree with my rat terrier Tyler and remember those fun season openers of the past. I may not even take a gun, but I’ll be hunting in my mind.
Wow, wouldn’t fried squirrel gravy over biscuits be great tomorrow morning?

No comments:

Post a Comment